The kitchen is the heart of the home and one of our favorite places to incorporate items that are both beautiful and functional. From hand crafted cutting boards found at a local farmer’s market to cookbooks from around the country, we know our kitchen collection is constantly growing and begins to tell a story. Whether you grew up in the kitchen with family recipes or prefer take-out from a favorite restaurant, there is something about how gathering around an island becomes a sacred place.
When designing a kitchen think about when and how you utilize your space. Make sure your kitchen works for you! Here are a few of our best kitchen planning tips:
- Start by selecting appliances that fit your lifestyle.
- Locate your flatware drawers and dinnerware cabinets near your dishwasher for ease of unloading.
- Plan for larger walkways surrounding the refrigerator to allow for open doors (minimum clearance of 36″, but we prefer 42″-48″ for the best traffic flow).
- Use the range hood or backsplash to make a statement and focal point. There are so many beautiful options today, so pick one you love and build the design around it.
- Design the base cabinets with either drawers or roll-out trays. You’ll maximize your space and be so glad you did!
- Pay attention to the countertop material and make sure you understand the maintenance required.
- Like any space in your home, lighting can set the mood. Consider statement light fixtures, then add recessed lighting, under cabinet lighting, and any additional lighting for function or aesthetics.
Don’t forget to add the special touches, too. We’ve curated a collection of our favorite kitchen items, some that we use daily and others that we love to gift. Follow the links to bring some of Southern Studio’s must haves into your kitchen.
Enjoy and Be Well!